Skip to main content

Remain in Me ~ Msgr. Daniel Hoye

Readings for Today

In this fifteenth chapter of John, we have the seventh and last of the “I am” sayings – “I am the bread of life,” “I am the good shepherd,” “I am the sheepgate.”   Today it is “I am the true vine, and you are the branches,” and eight times we hear the phrase, “Remain in me.”

In these days, lots of springtime cleanups take place.  We know that the damage from the winter was severe this year; lots of branches were torn away from their source of life.  This image is what Jesus uses, urging us to remain with Him.  In nature, once the branch is removed from the tree, it cannot be reattached.  But you and I have the tremendous gift of forgiveness from God, that if we have strayed, we have broken away from the Lord - we can be given new life, new hope.

He is the true vine, and we are the branches.

Comments