Skip to main content

That Time of Year

It's that time of year of again - back to school time!  We are constantly seeing advertisements on TV or in the newspaper for Back to School "Shopping."  There are ongoing sales for school supplies, backpacks, lunch boxes, and clothes.

This past Sunday, I moved back to Maine for my senior year.  It is hard to believe that another summer has gone by...and that I am soon to begin senior year.  Time really flies!

I know that these new beginnings can be nerve-wracking for some, particularly those beginning anew in a new place.  It is a time to trust in God and rely on the Holy Spirit.  I know that many Catholic Schools begin the year with a Mass of the Holy Spirit, which has become part of "history" in the Church.  This year, on freshman move in day, we are planning a Family Welcome Mass - using the Mass of the Holy Family.  Jesus too was part of a family, and during his life on Earth, bid farewell to Mary and Joseph as well.

Let us keep all students, families, educators, and administrators in prayer as we approach back to school.  It's not all about the sales or the shopping, but it's about opening to the work of the Holy Spirit in the year ahead.

I find myself saying, "We thank the Lord for all that has been...and for all that we be, we say yes."

Chris Hughes

Comments