Skip to main content

Wasting my Life

I will never forget my first experience with a parishioner from my home parish after I had been accepted to the seminary.  She approached me after Mass to ask a question.  The question is lost to the slow fogging of time, however, her reaction to when she found out I was to study for the priesthood, is still vivid.  A horrified look came over her face and she replied, “You are so young.  Why would you want to waste your life being a priest?”

This statement was not at all what I expected, but after many years of thought, I am sure the reason for her statement was out of concern for my welfare.  As she saw it, the priesthood was a burdensome vocation, lacking family, fulfillment and happiness.  Indeed, this person acted out of compassion, she hoped for me to live a happy life.   But it is discouraging for a young man to hear this and unfortunately, I was not the only one so discouraged.  The CARA report, a survey given to those about to be ordained priests this year, shows that 51% of those 548 men reported at least one person in their life discouraged them from entering seminary.  For most responders, multiple people tried to keep them from following God’s Call.



But the report also spoke of positive influences on a young man’s vocation.  Parishioners were second only to priests in influencing young men to pursue a vocation.  You who are reading this article and who go to Mass every week and in many cases, every day; you who see young men serving the Mass or lecturing or being an usher or Eucharistic Minister, can have more of a positive impact on their decision to enter the seminary than their own parents.  (Parent’s influence was number four and five FYI)

In our own parish of Christ the King, Matthew Laird is already in formation and Chris Hughes has applied for admittance to seminary starting next year.  However, there are still young men being called from this parish that need you.  About a month ago, a funeral was celebrated in the parish and a young man volunteered to serve.  I saw something in the way he prepared for Mass and his reverence during Mass that told me he would make a phenomenal priest.  After Mass I encouraged him to contemplate a vocation when he gets older.  Now he is young and has many years to think and pray over what I told him, but the seed has been planted in his heart.  I invite all of you to do the same, to plant some seeds among the young men in this parish who should be priests and in some young women who should pursue religious life. (There is at least one young woman I can see being a spectacular sister!)

The words of encouragement you plant in young people today will grow and hopefully help them begin the process of discerning a vocation and ministering to Christ’s people.  For those who see the priesthood as the woman at the beginning of this article as burdensome and not worthy of devoting one’s life, let me simply say that I would not be happy doing anything else.  Several years ago, I left formation and every day I was away, I yearned to minister to God’s people.

When I think of the priesthood, I am reminded of the words of Fr. Lacordaire who immortalized what the priesthood means in his prayer:

To live in the midst of the world
without wishing its pleasures;
To be a member of each family,
yet belonging to none;
To share all suffering;
to penetrate all secrets;
To heal all wounds;
to go from men to God
and offer Him their prayers;
To return from God to men
to bring pardon and hope;
To have a heart of fire for Charity,
and a heart of bronze for Chastity
To teach and to pardon,
console and bless always.
My God, what a life;
and it is yours,
O priest of Jesus Christ.

May we continue to inspire young men from our parish to priesthood.  May we continue to pray for vocations and pray in thanksgiving for the priests who continue to minister in the fields of God.

Daniel Nunes

Comments