Skip to main content

My Strength Is God

"The angel Gabriel was sent from God to a town of Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph, of the house of David, and the virgin's name was Mary.  And coming to her, he said, "Hail, full of grace! The Lord is with you."

These are words from today’s Gospel from Luke.  God sent Gabriel.  I wonder: why Gabriel?  It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Gabriel is "man of God; my strength is God."  It’s derived from Hebrew gheber "man,” or gabar "strong,” combined with el "god.

Gabriel is the messenger of God and intermediary between God and man.  He is the only angel besides Michael named in the canonical scriptures. He appeared to Daniel in the Old Testament, to Zacharias in the New Testament, and to Mary to announce the birth of Jesus.  In Islamic tradition, Gabriel is the angel who dictated the Koran to the Prophet Muhammad.

So, why Gabriel?   First, he’s a messenger.   Second, why not?  “My strength is God.”  What better name for the angel who announces, “The Lord is with you?”

My grandson’s middle name is Gabriel.  He’s my angel who has come to me.   Ironically, he’s Luke, the Gospel in which we hear Gabriel say, “Hail, full of grace!”  Nice connection.  I love a coincidence.  Or is it?

I hope Luke’s strength will be God.   Perhaps he will be a man of God.   It will be my job to remind him of that and the meaning of Gabriel.    Luke Gabriel Pierce – now that’s a name to be hailed.  And I do.

Deacon David Pierce



Comments