Skip to main content

There's A Catch

On Thursday I spoke of spiritual wisdom and fish – a rather strange connection.  I said that to have spiritual wisdom, we must focus on what Jesus told us such as: “For I was hungry and you gave me food.  I was thirsty and you gave me drink.  A stranger and you welcomed me; naked and you clothed me; ill and you cared for me; in prison and you visited me.”   The wise of spirit do these things because Jesus told us so. 

But it’s not easy.  There’s always a catch – obstacles that prevent us from acting.   The “catch” can be laziness, ambivalence, fear, selfishness, and aloofness.   We’re guilty at one time or another of not be able to climb over those obstacles.   

But we can with a little effort, prayer, and self-examination helping the Holy Spirit to move us and make us wise.  We’re not fish that cannot swim without water.   There are no stairs we cannot climb, no catch we cannot overcome.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments