Skip to main content

Trick Or Treat

Halloween is fast approaching, and trick-or-treaters will soon approach our doors.    Costumes have become more elaborate and high-tech than ever before.  My costumes are very low-tech.   They always have been, and there’s no prospect for change.

Imaginative costumes are more my wife’s forte.  I think she will be going as Star Wars’ heroine, Rey.  Perhaps I’ll be a Wookie.   All I need to do is collect the pounds of dog hair my pooch has shed all over the house and then paste them on.   We’ve no short supply of hair. I’ll just check under the beds.

This cartoon highlights the trouble many families have trying to make ends meet.   The poor abound and struggle daily. 

Here at Christ the King there are no tricks.    There are no treats either: just staples for families needing to feed their children and elderly trying to get by (e.g., Food Pantry).

Then again, we provide a different kind of treat.   We treat the poor with respect and understand the commandment Jesus gave us: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.   The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.”

 Deacon David Pierce

Comments