Skip to main content

Wake Up Angels

The disciples approached Jesus and said,
"Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven?"
He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said,
"Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children,
you will not enter the Kingdom of heaven.
Whoever humbles himself like this child
is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven.
And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me.

"See that you do not despise one of these little ones,
for I say to you that their angels in heaven
always look upon the face of my heavenly Father."


Today is the Memorial of the Guardian Angels.    The above reading (Matt 18:1-5, 10) makes it clear that children have guardian angels in heaven.  That’s all well and good, but sometimes I fear those angels spend their time “always looking at the face of my [Jesus] heavenly Father” and forget about their children. 
Distracted and dozing-off angels are not what children need.   They need constant attention and love, even when they drive us to distraction.  The “us” is all of us mothers and fathers and all who can lend a helping hand.  

Our children must never be forgotten.   Unfortunately, many of us do forget about the “children placed in our midst.”  We all need to be true guardian angels looking upon our children’s faces, not just our heavenly Father.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments