Skip to main content

Days Of Our Lives

I’m not a soap opera fan, but I know many who are.   One notable series is “Days of Our Lives.”  The show debuted in 1965 and features an hourglass with sand slowly trickling to the bottom against the backdrop of a partly cloudy sky.  The trademark voice-over is:  "Like sands through the hourglass, so are the Days of Our Lives." 

For many of us our sands are mostly at the bottom of the glass.   Oh, if we could only turn the glass upside down and start again.   Then again, all our memories would be gone, and memories are precious, for the most part.   Wishful thinking can be fun, but if wishes were horses beggars would ride.

I think of the hourglass because yesterday we set our clocks back one hour.    It was so simple to turn back time.   Not so in real life, although we can flip the glass when we ask for forgiveness or forgive someone who hurt us.   Starting over resets our clocks, and our timekeeper, Christ, is pleased.

I think I’ll buy an hourglass and put it on my desk.  It will remind me that time is running out so I must live well, make more memories, and forgive.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments