Skip to main content

Sentimental Journeys

I’m a big fan of Sherlock Holmes.   He seems real because Sir Arthur Conan Dolye is a master of the mystery and character development including Dr. Watson.   Created in 1891 Holmes and Watson live on through TV series with my favorite being the latest with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.   The scripts are fantastic and their deliveries superb by everyone in the cast.  Cumberbatch has starred in "The Imitation Game" and "Star Trek Into Darkness."

I note his Sherlock series because I recently saw a poster of Holmes with the words: “Sentiment is a chemical defect found on the losing side.”  Perfectly stated by eccentric Sherlock, but not something any of us should adopt as our attitude. 

Let’s refer to the lyrics of the famous song, Sentimental Journey.

Gonna take a sentimental journey.  Gonna set my heart at ease.  Gonna make a sentimental journey.  To renew old memories.

Got my bag, got my reservation.  Spent each dime, I could afford.  Like a child in wild anticipation.  Long to hear that 'All aboard.'

Seven, that's the time we leave, at seven.  I'll be waitin' up at Heaven countin' every mile of railroad track that takes me back.

Never thought my heart could be so yearny.  Why did I decide to roam?   Gotta take that sentimental journey.   Sentimental journey home.


Too many of us have lost our memories or they are fading and fading fast.  Chemical defects causing Dementia and Alzheimers Disease steal our memories.   We know many who suffer  from these defects, and its truly sad for families and friends.

We all need sentimental journeys to  renew old memories and set our hearts at ease.   For those who cannot make the entire journey, we can at least accompany them as far as they can go so as to ease their hearts.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments