Skip to main content

Lent is a Gift!

At times, we might view Lent as "burdensome." We all have heard (or maybe muttered ourselves!) the "Well, I guess I have to give something up for Lent…"

But, in reality, Lent is a gift!  I have found that to be my theme this Lent, and I invite you to do the same.  The Church gives us 40 days to repent or to clean up some areas we'd like to change.  Maybe our New Year's Resolutions have failed, or maybe we have found ourselves in a "slump" of putting off prayer, not exercising, eating junk food, or working/behaving to our fullest potential.  Lent is the time to begin again and start over - to make our resolutions to do better!  The Sacrament of Reconciliation is a great start if you want to really start anew!

Perhaps daily mass is possible, or getting up earlier than usual for some quiet time in prayer (I have found this to be very helpful and fruitful myself this Lent).  On Fridays at 4pm we pray the Stations of the Cross at Christ the King.  Why not join?  A great way to end the week and begin the weekend!

In reality, after doing (or not doing) something for 40 days, it is quite possible that it will become habitual and part of our lives.  Thus, the fruit of our efforts this Lent can carry on further than Holy Thursday!

A professor here at the seminary recently concluded his prayer at the beginning of class with, "Do not let us leave Lent unchanged!"  Let's make that our goal this Lent…to change our hearts and to change our lives, so that together, we can continue to build up the Kingdom of God right here on Cape Cod.  God has great things in store for you and for me this Lent, and I pray that we are able to discover them!

Chris Hughes

Comments