Skip to main content

Beheading

Today’s reading from Mark reads in part: The king [Herod] said to the girl [daughter], "Ask of me whatever you wish and I will grant it to you."  He even swore many things to her, "I will grant you whatever you ask of me, even to half of my kingdom."  She went out and said to her mother [Herodias], "What shall I ask for?" She replied, "The head of John the Baptist."  The girl hurried back to the king's presence and made her request, "I want you to give me at once on a platter the head of John the Baptist."  

The king was deeply distressed, but because of his oaths and the guests he did not wish to break his word to her.  So he promptly dispatched an executioner with orders to bring back his head.  He went off and beheaded him in the prison.  He brought in the head on a platter and gave it to the girl. The girl in turn gave it to her mother.  When his disciples heard about it, they came and took his body and laid it in a tomb.

I suspect we all at one time or another want someone’s head on a platter.   It’s an expression not heard too often today (perhaps more often than not in political discourse).   Similar language is frequently used, however, on social media where we “dispatch executioners with orders to bring back the head” of those we don’t like, perhaps even hate due to jealousy and nothing more.   We may not know them personally, but “off with his or her head!”   The executioners are the words we use to hurt and harm.  We behead the guilty and innocent or imprison them. 

Such is the danger of social media serving as the platter for hate speech, for laying people in tombs, and on which revenge is served cold.   Let’s think twice before we start swinging axes.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments