Skip to main content

Untended Sheep

“…So they were scattered for the lack of a shepherd, and became food for all the wild beasts.  My sheep were scattered and wandered over all the mountains and high hills; my sheep were scattered over the whole earth, with no one to look after them or to search for them.  Therefore, shepherds, hear the word of the LORD: As I live, says the Lord GOD, because my sheep have been given over to pillage, and because my sheep have become food for every wild beast, for lack of a shepherd; because my shepherds did not look after my sheep, but pastured themselves and did not pasture my sheep; because of this, shepherds, hear the word of the LORD: 

Thus says the Lord GOD: I swear I am coming against these shepherds.  I will claim my sheep from them and put a stop to their shepherding my sheep so that they may no longer pasture themselves.  I will save my sheep, that they may no longer be food for their mouths. For thus says the Lord GOD:  I myself will look after and tend my sheep…”

O’ if it were only so!  God, please look after us!   Our shepherds we refer to as Congressmen and of course our President appear to have lost their way, and we don’t know where to find them.   We cannot leave them alone, for they won’t come home; they have turned tail and abandoned us (so it seems). 

Perhaps my characterization is bit too harsh since many Congressmen and women are doing their best under extremely trying circumstances.  Nevertheless, we have a divided country being victimized by polarized politicians no longer concerned about the common good.  It seems more like preoccupation with self-interest and political survival. Any why not, because in 2017, the base salary for all rank-and-file members of the U.S. House and Senate was $174,000 per year, plus benefits!  With power and money at stake, few want to jeopardize their seats.

Do I like readings from Ezekiel?  Absolutely!  We all should.  He reminds us that sheep need good shepherds; otherwise, there’s pillage, and the wild beasts take over.

Lord GOD, come against those shepherds who have abandoned us!  Better yet, help them to realize the wolves are at the door (or already in the room), to pick up their staffs, and swing away.  Also God, help us realize who are the false shepherds so we may remove them from our pastures.

We need green pastures, not ones with ground trampled by the feet of sheep shearers stripping us of our wool and leaving us naked.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments