Skip to main content

Lying Tongues

"Whoever makes a fortune by a lying tongue is chasing a bubble over deadly snares."  Today’s first reading is a list of proverbs with this 6th one being about lies. 

I cannot stomach lies which is why politics is so challenging for onlookers and those wanting to base their votes on the truth, not on spin and obfuscation.    Politicians seeking fortune through donations/contributions or by other means (legal and illegal) on the right as well as the on the left seemingly or outright lie attempting to preserve their power and erode their opponents’ standing.  They have “lying tongues.”

Jesus called Satan the “father of lies.”  Consider John 8:42-44 that reads: Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and am here; I did not come on my own, but he sent me.  Why do you not understand what I am saying?  Because you cannot bear to hear my word.  You belong to your father the devil and you willingly carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks in character, because he is a liar and the father of lies.”

Liars are in league with the devil.  They are devilish, and they are not just politicians.  “They” are all of us to one extent or another.   We all must remember to hear and act on Jesus’ word that is the truth.   Otherwise, we risk the pit and deadly snares of sin and evildoers.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments