Skip to main content

Liberty And Freedom

As Jesus was leaving Jericho with his disciples and a sizable crowd, Bartimaeus, a blind man, the son of Timaeus, sat by the roadside begging. On hearing that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, "Jesus, son of David, have pity on me." And many rebuked him, telling him to be silent.  But he kept calling out all the more, "Son of David, have pity on me." 

Jesus stopped and said, "Call him." So they called the blind man, saying to him, "Take courage; get up, Jesus is calling you." He threw aside his cloak, sprang up, and came to Jesus. Jesus said to him in reply, "What do you want me to do for you?"  The blind man replied to him, "Master, I want to see."  Jesus told him, "Go your way; your faith has saved you."  Immediately he received his sight and followed him on the way.

I just returned from a 5-day business trip in New York City.   We had an evening trip down the Hudson River to the bridges, and we stopped right next to “Lady Liberty” – the Statue of Liberty.   She like the skyline was lit up with a full moon overhead.   The Freedom Tower dominated that skyline.

Liberty and Freedom were so symbolically before us all.  Made me think even more about our country and what we represent.  Made me think about the hate and vitriol spewed by those on the far right and far left.

On a lighter side, made me think about the NY Yankees and the Red Sox impressive wins.   There were no “hated” Yankees, just respect for the team and the city they represented.

I may have been blind to much of what makes our nation great.  My eyes may have first been closed to the beauty of New York City.   When leaving on the Acela train back to Providence, my eyes were opened.   My sight had been restored. 

Perhaps Jesus was with me on that river boat where I focused on liberty and freedom.  I was reminded that we can take steps to save our country – to slow our country’s political downward spiral in morals and decency – provided we take courage and then vote our conscience.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments