Skip to main content

Wonderfully Made

O LORD, you have probed me and you know me; you know when I sit and when I stand;
you understand my thoughts from afar.  My journeys and my rest you scrutinize, with all my ways you are familiar.

Where can I go from your spirit?  From your presence where can I flee?  If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I sink to the nether world, you are present there.

If I take the wings of the dawn, if I settle at the farthest limits of the sea, even there your hand shall guide me, and your right hand hold me fast.

Truly you have formed my inmost being; you knit me in my mother's womb.  I give you thanks that I am fearfully, wonderfully made; wonderful are your works.

Today’s psalm is one we all wish we could sing.   For many of us our voices are silent, and songs are the last things we will sing.   Our pain and disappointments are too great.  God is distant and doesn’t seem to hear our prayers.  Love is absent from our lives. 

We ask, “God do you really know me and understand my thoughts?  Does your hand really guide me?  When I sink to my nether word of darkness and despair, are you really there?”

The challenges are for us all to appreciate that we truly are fearfully and wonderfully made and God is the rod and staff on which we can hold fast.   We only need to grab that staff and then rely on it for support.   Most of us do so.   For those who don’t, simply reach out, and take hold.   God is eager for our embrace.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments