Skip to main content

Loosen His Thongs

The people were filled with expectation, and all were asking in their hearts whether John might be the Christ.  John answered them all, saying, "I am baptizing you with water, but one mightier than I is coming.  I am not worthy to loosen the thongs of his sandals.  He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."

After all the people had been baptized and Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, "You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased."

The Holy Spirit is “in bodily form like a dove.”    We use the dove as an image of peace.    It’s a soothing image to some.  But if using a bird, I’d rather have the Holy Spirit in bodily form like a raven.   Ravens are smart and aggressive. 

Considering the state of our world and nation, I’d prefer the Holy Spirit be more than a passive bird perched somewhere watching the chaos unfold.   I’d like a Holy Spirit that’s involved in our daily affairs and cawing or croaking rather than cooing.

We all need to take on the form of ravens and stand up to be noticed – especially by God with the Holy Spirit being in each one of us urging us to be mighty in word and deed, like Jesus.  By doing so we are worthy to loosen the thongs of his sandals.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments