Skip to main content

Rallying Cry

The Super Bowl is tomorrow.   Once again, we who are blessed with a winning and talented team of Patriots athletes and coaches will watch and hope for more success.  Tomorrow’s first reading from Jeremiah (1:4-5, 17-19) might be our rallying cry.

The word of the LORD came to me, saying:
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I dedicated you,
a great team for New England I appointed you.

Gird your loins;
stand up and tell them
all that I command you.
Do not be not crushed on their account,
as if I would leave you crushed before them;
for it is I this day
who have made you a fortified city,
a pillar of iron, a wall of brass,
against the whole land of Patriots haters:
against LA’s kings and princes,
against its priests, people, and Rams
They will fight against you but not prevail over you,
for I am with you to deliver you to ring number 6, says the LORD.

Ok, so it’s not quite the reading as written.  But if Jeremiah lived today and in New England (Mashpee?), this might be his rallying cry.  It sure is mine.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments