Skip to main content

Wine Or Water

Once there was a king who invited his subjects to a banquet.  He told each guest to bring a flask of wine and informed each that his wine would be poured into a large wine vat.  Each one thought, “What will my small flask of wine mean?  I will bring my small flask of water, and no one will know the difference.  

When the guests were assembled at the banquet, the king summoned his servants to serve the guests with the contents of the vat.  Each was served water, for they all had thought, “What will my small flask of wine mean? I will bring a flask of water instead and no one will know the difference.

How many of us leave Mass with small flasks of water, not wine?  We expect everyone else to glorify God by their lives, that is, to love their neighbor.  If we don’t, no one will notice.  Really?

Deacon David Pierce

Comments