Skip to main content

Big Fish

When I was a newly ordained priest I recall hearing a senior priest commenting after confessions, "I was really busy today in the confessional.  I had some really big fish today.".  He  meant that he heard some confessions of  folks who were either away from church  for years and/or had asked forgiveness from some serious sins.  Now that I am older I can appreciate what he meant.  During Lent many people hear the call to conversion and celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation.  It is always so humbling to hear folks admitting their faults, and some serious ones at times.  I often say to folks who have been away for 20, 30 or even 40 years, "Welcome Back.  Thanks for coming today"  Sometimes they are taken aback because they thought they would be scolded or yelled at for what they did and for how long they have been away.  To the best of my knowledge, I have never raised my voice in confession in almost 42 years.  As Pope Francis said, we should never make the confessional a torture chamber but rather a place to celebrate God's mercy.  Maybe it is time to "take the hook" and be caught up in God's mercy.

Msgr. Daniel F. Hoye

Comments