Skip to main content

Eager To Love

I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones.  There I shall store all my grain and other goods and I shall say to myself, “Now as for you, you have so many good things stored up for many years, rest, eat, drink, be merry!”’ But God said to him, ‘You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you; and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?’ Thus will it be for the one who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich in what matters to God.” 

What matters to God?  Perhaps the best answer was provided by Father Richard Rohr in his 2014 book, “Eager To Love: The Alternative Ways of Francis of Assisi.”  God expects us always to be eager to love.  Rohr said, “Only when we are eager to love can we see love and goodness in the world around us…There is no secret moral command for knowing or pleasing God, or what some call ‘salvation,’ beyond becoming a loving person in mind, heart, body, and soul yourself.”

For most of us this is a tall order.  That’s what makes us fools because some night our life will be demanded of us.  For that we are not eager.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments