Skip to main content

Planted Seeds

Jesus said, "What is the Kingdom of God like?  To what can I compare it?  It is like a mustard seed that a man took and planted in the garden.  When it was fully grown, it became a large bush and 'the birds of the sky dwelt in its branches.'"

When a baby is baptized, it’s as if a seed has been planted to then grow and later become that large bush with many branches reaching out to others through service – to the "birds" finding shelter and then dwelling in in those supportive branches.

I was reminded of baptism when in New York City and on my way to Central Park I came across the Church of St. Paul the Apostle.  I learned it is the mother church of the Paulist Fathers, the first order of Roman Catholic priests founded in the United States.   Quite beautiful!

The baptismal font and pool were what we would expect from such a welcoming church.   I share those pictures here.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments