Skip to main content

Blessed Are Those

While Jesus was speaking, a woman from the crowd called out and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that carried you and the breasts at which you nursed.” He replied, “Rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.” (Luke 11:27-28)

Who among us is blessed?  Many of us hear the word of God, but we don’t observe it.  We know what path to take, but we are afraid.  According to Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade in the 1992 movie Scent of a Woman, we need courage. (Google his speech in defense of Charlie – classic!  Better yet, see the movie.  Some of the speech follows.)

(begin) I'm not finished! As I came in here, I heard those words, "cradle of leadership." Well, when the bough breaks, the cradle will fall. And it has fallen here; it has fallen. Makers of men; creators of leaders; be careful what kind of leaders you're producin' here. 

I don't know if Charlie's silence here today is right or wrong. I'm not a judge or jury. But I can tell you this: he won't sell anybody out to buy his future!! And that, my friends, is called integrity! That's called courage! Now that's the stuff leaders should be made of. 

Now I have come to the crossroads in my life. I always knew what the right path was. Without exception, I knew. But I never took it. You know why? It was too damn hard (my emphasis).  Now here's Charlie. He's come to the crossroads. He has chosen a path. It's the right path. It's a path made of principle -- that leads to character. Let him continue on his journey.

You hold this boy's future in your hands, committee. It's a valuable future. Believe me. Don't destroy it! Protect it. Embrace it. It's gonna make ya proud one day -- I promise you. (end)

Blessed are those who hear the word of God and then observe it.  Let’s not be like Lt. Col. Slade who earlier in his life chose the wrong path because it was “too damn hard.”  Let’s choose the right path made of principle -- that leads to character and integrity achieved through courage.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments