Skip to main content

Woe To You Mashpee

Jesus said to them, “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty deeds done in your midst had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would long ago have repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes. But it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the judgment than for you.

And as for you, Capernaum, ‘Will you be exalted to heaven? You will go down to the netherworld.’ Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.” (Luke 10:13-16)

Chorazin was a village about three miles north-northwest of Capernaum.  Bethsaida was almost due east from Chorazin.  All three were just north of the Sea of Galilee.  These were places where Jesus preached with a focus on repentance. 

Tyre and Sidon were considered “wicked” and in need of repentance.  Jesus indicated the lofty town of Capernaum would be brought to low status because it had not responded to Jesus’ mission. 

It appears the following was Jesus speaking to his 72 disciples [the lambs among wolves] who pursued his mission: “Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me.  And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.”  Jesus is speaking to us as well, and for this reason, we must speak as Jesus would have spoken, and those around us will listen.  

We must never hear: “Woe to you Mashpee! Repent, and sit in sackcloth and ashes.” With CTK’ers doing mighty deeds of charity in the midst of Mashpee, we embrace Jesus and the one who sent him.

Deacon David Pierce


Comments