Skip to main content

A Question







I'm fond of pig and rat as well as all the other Stephan Pastis characters in his strip "Pearls Before Swine."  When I'm pessimistic, I turn to the "wisdom" of rat.  

I'm trying not to be pessimistic about 2024 and the consequences of the recent Supreme Court decision making our presidents into kings.  I'm pessimistic about many, many Catholics favoring autocratic rule over democracy.  Lord, help me in my time of distress.  

Whatever happened to our support of Jesus's beatitudes? Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they shall be satisfied. Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.  Do we allow ourselves to be blessed by our behavior and attitudes or do we prefer to be cursed?  Many of us unknowingly choose the latter.

I don't smoke.  Never have.  Perhaps it is time to light up.  Preferably it's time to re-enlist in the service of the beatitudes.  We all should.

Deacon David Pierce


Comments