Skip to main content

Do This In Memory











Our Eucharist tends to confuse many Catholics.  That might seem surprising, but it is a fact.  Helping us improve our understanding is Word On Fire that recently wrote: (begin) “In 1950, prominent author Flannery O'Connor was brought by friends to a dinner with Mary McCarthy and her husband. As the evening drew on, the talk turned to the Eucharist. McCarthy, who had been raised Catholic but had fallen away from the Church, remarked that she thought of the Eucharist as a symbol and “implied that it was a pretty good one.” O’Connor famously replied, “If it’s a symbol, to hell with it!”

Since 2022, the goal of the National Eucharistic Revival has been to restore as vibrant a belief as Flannery O’Connor held in the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist. Bishop Barron’s book This Is My Body: A Call to Eucharistic Revival continues to be the perfect accompaniment to the Eucharistic Revival. This short book analyzes the source and summit of the Christian life and provides a clear and compelling case for the Real Presence. (end)

Yes, Barron’s book is helpful; however, I suggest a somewhat different, expanded approach and understanding based on the Gospel of Luke and our Eucharistic prayers said during Mass and consecration.

Luke’s description of the Last Supper (Luke 22:14-20) is:

14 When the hour came, he took his place at table with the apostles.

15 He said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer,

16 for, I tell you, I shall not eat it [again] until there is fulfillment in the kingdom of God.” 

17 Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and said, “Take this and share it among yourselves;

18 for I tell you [that] from this time on I shall not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”

19 Then he took the bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me (my emphasis).

20 And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which will be shed for you. 

Matthew’s description (26:26-30)

26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and giving it to his disciples said, “Take and eat; this is my body.” 

27 Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you,

28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed on behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins.

29 I tell you, from now on I shall not drink this fruit of the vine until the day when I drink it with you new in the kingdom of my Father.”

30 Then, after singing a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

Mark’s description (14:22-25) is:

22 While they were eating, he took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, and said, “Take it; this is my body.”

23 Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, and they all drank from it.

24 He said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed for many.

25 Amen, I say to you, I shall not drink again the fruit of the vine until the day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.”

26 Then, after singing a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. 

Note: (begin) Unlike Matthew, Mark and Luke, which seek to describe the whole of Jesus' ministry, John's gospel focuses on a handful of miracles and the conversations arising from them. Nevertheless, it seems remarkable that John devotes 5 chapters to the conversation Jesus had with his disciples after the Last Supper, and his subsequent prayer for them: yet doesn't mention Jesus' institution of the Lord's Supper during the meal. (end)

During Mass we hear: At the time he was betrayed and entered willingly into his Passion, he took bread and, giving thanks, broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying. take this, all of you, and eat of it, for this is my Body, which will be given up for you.

In a similar way, when supper was ended, he took the chalice and, once more giving thanks, he gave it to his disciples, saying: take this, all of you, and drink from it, for this is the chalice of my Blood, the Blood of the new and eternal covenant, which will be poured out for you and for many for the forgiveness of sins. Do this in memory of me (my emphasis).

Let’s consider St. Paul and his first letter to the Corinthians (23-about “Tradition of the Institution.”)

23 For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread,

24 and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, “This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me(my emphasis).

25 In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 

26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.

What are we supposed to remember when we receive the Eucharist, but we may not? Of course we are supposed to remember his sacrifice for us, but there is much more to remember beyond Jesus’s real presence.  

When we receive, we are to remember we are the Body of Christ to be blessed when we truly follow Jesus as his beatitudes state:

3 Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 

4 Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.

5 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.

6 Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.

7 Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. 

8 Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.

9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

10 Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 

11 Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you [falsely] because of me. 

12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. 

We are to remember that our light must shine before others, that they may see our good deeds and glorify our heavenly Father.  We are not to take a false oath but make good to the Lord all that we vow.  We are to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. 

There is more than we can possibly remember, but just the preceding short list of memories suggests there is more to receiving the Eucharist than meets the eye.  At the very least we are to glorify God by our lives.  The Eucharist is our reminder.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments