Skip to main content

Church And State









Jesus said to his disciples: “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat; but if it dies, it produces much fruit. Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will preserve it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there also will my servant be. The Father will honor whoever serves me.” (John 12:24-26)

Religion and politics don’t mix.  Right?  No, they do mix according to James Talarico, Texas legislator and seminarian in the Presbyterian Church.  I also believe they mix, but if I dare to mix the two from the pulpit, well, there is hell to pay since Christ the King is deeply divided on political preferences, especially with the Presidential election looming large.

Talarico’s sermon on the separation of church and state is compelling.  He highlights Jesus’s two commandments: to love God and to love our neighbors.  The latter involves political decisions to benefit our neighbors in many ways, such as health care.  Our faith and love of God, therefore, propels us into the political arena and unfortunately into debates that can be bitter and nasty contrary to love of God and our neighbors.  It is inevitable.

Google him, and view some of his videos.  I’m especially fond of his sermon on the rise of Christian nationalism.  He calls it what it is – unchristian.  I call it contrary to Jesus's insistence that we follow him and serve him.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments