Skip to main content

Jessep Like God

The LORD addressed Job out of the storm and said: Have you ever in your lifetime commanded the morning and shown the dawn its place.  For taking hold of the ends of the earth, till the wicked are shaken from its surface? The earth is changed as is clay by the seal and dyed as though it were a garment; But from the wicked the light is withheld, and the arm of pride is shattered.

Have you entered into the sources of the sea, or walked about in the depths of the abyss? Have the gates of death been shown to you, or have you seen the gates of darkness? Have you comprehended the breadth of the earth? Tell me, if you know all: Which is the way to the dwelling place of light, and where is the abode of darkness, That you may take them to their boundaries and set them on their homeward paths? You know, because you were born before them, and the number of your years is great!

Then Job answered the LORD and said: Behold, I am of little account; what can I answer you? I put my hand over my mouth. Though I have spoken once, I will not do so again; though twice, I will do so no more. (Job 38:1, 12-21; 40:3-5)

God’s conversation with Job reminds me of the movie “A Few Good Men” starring Jack Nicholson, Demi Moore and Tom Cruise. What follows is the script from the back-and-forth between LTJG Kaffee (Cruise) and Colonel Jessep (Nicholson). If you haven’t seen this movie, then I’m shocked!  Nicholson appears as the LORD while Cruise is Job.  

LTJG Kaffee: Colonel Jessep! Did you order the Code Red?!

Judge Randolph: You don't have to answer that question!

Col Jessup: I'll answer the question. You want answers?

LTJG Kaffee: I think I'm entitled to them.

Col Jessup: You want answers?!

LTJG Kaffee: I want the truth!

Col Jessup: You can't handle the truth!

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. 

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall -- you need me on that wall. We use words like "honor," "code," "loyalty." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand the post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!

LTJG Kaffee: Did you order the Code Red?

Col Jessup: I did the job –

LTJG Kaffee: -- Did you order the Code Red?!

Col Jessup: YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT I DID!!!

Cruise (Job) won the argument in this exchange.  Nicholson (The LORD) due to arrogance was defeated. In fact, in our reading from Job, the LORD does appear very arrogant during Job’s dressing down. 

Job wanted the truth.  Why are you making me suffer?  What have I done?  Frankly, we all act like Job at times, perhaps many times.  We want the truth. In a way God said to Job, and perhaps to us: “I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!”  Obviously, we will never hear God respond in that way.  

We should never respond in the manner of Job: “Though I have spoken once, I will not do so again; though twice, I will do so no more.” No, we have every right to be mad at God when God’s love seems denied.  As in any relationship, arguments – even fights – are inevitable.  

God likely welcomes those exchanges especially when God knows we suffer, and nothing can be done by God to ease our pain and even prevent our deaths.  Such is our journey of life to our eventually deaths.  What’s most important is for us not to be arrogant and to accept the LORD’s accompaniment and love during our personal struggles and those of the ones we love.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments