Skip to main content

From Cradle to Grave with Stops in Between

Just over a week ago, on Wednesday, I attended the wake and Funeral of my Brother-in-law’s Mother in Saugus.  Thursday, I attended the wake for my Father-in-law in Woburn.  Friday, I served at his Funeral Mass and his Committal in Arlington.  Saturday, I served at my daughter’s Confirmation in Mashpee and on Sunday, after serving at Mass, I began the Rite of Baptism, welcoming a precious infant girl into the faith, the Body of Christ.

I thought about the many similarities thread through the sacraments; I anointed the infant girl with sacred Chrism at the Baptism setting her apart as a child of God.  The anointing of my daughter and her fellow Confirmation Candidates; chosen, set apart, and sent on a mission as young adults to preach the Gospel by the lives they will lead.  And about 10 days prior to that, the Priest had anointed my Father-in-law in the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick to prepare him for his heavenly homeland.


In the Baptism, we immerse or pour water on the child and when the priest greets the casket at the doors of the church he sprinkles it with holy water.  He does this before the white pall is placed over the casket just like the white robe is placed on the infants at Baptism as an ‘outward sign of Christian dignity’.

There was the Paschal, or Easter Candle burning brightly at the Baptism from which another candle is lit and symbolizes the ‘light of Christ’ and ‘the flame of faith’ to be kept burning in the girl's heart.  At the funeral Mass, the casket is brought next to Easter candle symbolizing Christ’s Resurrection and foreshadowing our own.

In the course of those five days I saw in people’s faces; sorrow and grief, wonder and joy, love and serenity.  And in each of those days we were all touched in some way by the faith of our Catholic Church and her people.  I've come to appreciate just how the Church is there to lift us up and keep us pointed in the right direction throughout all phases and stages of our lives and the lives of the people we love.

Deacon Paul Harney

Comments