Skip to main content

No Fear

In our Easter Vigil Gospel we twice hear, “Do not be afraid,” once from an angel and the other from Jesus.  Every time I hear this command, I’m reminded of one of the best science fiction series of all time – in my opinion.  It’s the 1985 book Dune by Frank Herbert who also wrote Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, and many others.  Herbert’s main character is Paul Atreides who at the beginning of Dune introduces the “Litany against Fear” that he said when faced with terrifying and painful situations.  It goes:

"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.  And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.  Only I will remain."

None of us at the base of Jesus’ cross – where symbolically we sat on Good Friday – needed to face fear or recite this Litany because we knew Jesus’ death was his transition to new life that would always be with us.  Death was replaced by Easter hope.

That hope now carries us through the rest of 2014 and beyond because we have a new leader who seems modeled after Jesus – Pope Francis.  For example, during World Youth Day in Rio 2013, our Pope told the vast crowd of young men and women, “Do not be afraid to ask God’s forgiveness.  God never tires of forgiving us, like a Father who loves us.  God is pure mercy.” At another time, Pope Francis said, “God is always waiting for us and never grows tired.  Jesus shows us this merciful patience of God so that we can regain patience and hope – always!”  We have since witnessed the Pope’s deeds echoing these words.
 
Frank Herbert wrote in 1985.  "Dune was aimed at this whole idea of the infallible leader because my view of history says that mistakes made by a leader (or made in a leader's name) are amplified by the numbers who follow without question." Francis – who I suspect realizes he is fallible – understands that questioning is important especially because our Church has made many mistakes and committed many grave sins due to past leaders who forgot Jesus’ words: “Get behind me Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; for you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things” (Matthew 16:23).  

Now, as in our Easter Vigil Gospel, the stone appears to have been rolled back from the tomb.  Pope Francis sits on it.  Many unmerciful ones guarding the Church, “are shaken with fear of him” and now need to come alive.

I suspect we all have come alive with the hope that Pope Francis brings.  We have permitted our fear to pass over us and through us.  And when it went past, we turned the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear had gone there was nothing – except all of us where we remain encouraged especially by the light of Christ we will carry tonight at our Easter Vigil.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments