Skip to main content

56 YEARS, OH MY!

This past week end my wife and I celebrated our 56th wedding anniversary.  I don't think either of us ever thought we would see this day.  Saturday June 7th 2014.   Here we are, in a fine restaurant having dinner; the day is gorgeous and the view from the restaurant window is beautiful, the waters of the bay are calm and the evening air is just comfortable.

Right outside the window, just below us, on the pavilion a young couple is getting married.  Everyone out there seems very happy for the newly weds. The groom is wearing a Navy uniform and the bride is radiant in her white gown.

My mind sailed back 56 years to when Joanne and I were married at Saint Jean Baptiste church in Lowell, Ma.  Oh yes, Joanne and I were quite young, but I have to say, even at our young age, we took our marriage vows seriously.  The Pre Cana Conference gave us a goodly amount of time to think and talk about the journey we were about to begin.

We  have seen our four children get married.  We have seen several of our grand children get married. We have two great-children and I am not sure I want to live to see them get married!!

Joanne and I are no different than anyone else, we have our moments when things get heated, for some reason we stick it out, however, in the long run we have many more wonderful memories than we have regretful ones.  Mistakes have been made, we learned from them, and our love has grown and is as strong today as it was 56 years ago.

The grace of Sacramental Marriage is always with us no matter what the circumstances are or have been, Love makes itself known.  God has always been by our side and continues to guide us on our journey.
                                
Deacon Robert Lemay

Comments