Skip to main content

Giving More ~ Msgr. Daniel Hoye

Readings for today's Homily

When I was in the seminary, I had a periodic evaluation from an advisor. I recall one time, my advisor said to me, “You know Hoye, you only do the minimum!” I said, “What do you mean?” He said, “Well, a couple of professors said that they ask for a five page report, you just give them five pages, not a page more.” So in my defense I said, “Remember Professor so and so, if you gave him six pages when he asked for five, he would deduct points from you.”

The Gospel today says if they ask for five pages, give them ten! We’re not talking about pages, but we’re talking about serving another. “If they ask you for one mile, give him two; if they ask for your cloak, give him your tunic.”

Maybe we can be more expansive in our service of another. When there is need, give him ten pages.

Comments