Skip to main content

“I Pray For You.” ~ Msgr. Daniel Hoye

Readings for today's Homily

It’s not the practice anymore, but when I was in grammar school, one of the regular practices was for the Sister to send you to the board to diagram the sentence – but they don’t do it anymore.  I’m glad that we never had John’s Gospel to diagram because he just goes on, and on, and on, and on - paragraphs at a time!

We’re reading from what is called the Farewell Discourse, but it’s not a discourse, it’s simply Jesus praying towards the end of His time here on earth.  Today, the key phrase is that Jesus says, “I pray for them,” meaning us, His disciples - “I pray for you.”  I think that should be a comforting notion for all of us; that we have in Christ one who is caring about our future, our situation, our difficulties, our pain, and our sorrow.  We need to hear that phrase over and over again, that Christ prays for us.

Comments