Skip to main content

Seventh Saturday Easter ~ Deacon Brendan Brides

Peter asks “Lord, what about him?” Two thousand years later we ask similar questions; what about her, how come I didn't get the job, why did my husband have to get cancer, How could this happen to my child (or grand child), why did my wife have to die so suddenly, how come he’s not an alcoholic and I am, why should she have everything and I have so little, how come they're not divorced and we are?

The answer Jesus gave to Peter is the same answer he would give to us today: "what concern is it of yours? You follow me."

Every path of every journey, along with all it's twists and turns, are very significant to each one of us. But every difficult situation, every moment of inexpressible joy, every devastating loss, every exhilarating gain are temporary moments of our life. We can enjoy them, we can suffer through them, we can immerse our selves in them but they're all temporary.

What is truly permanent is that which can be achieved by following closely the simply instruction given to us by Jesus in today's gospel: "you follow me."

Comments