Skip to main content

Good Shepherd

Being a marine biologist and one who manages saltwater fisheries as part of my responsibilities with the Commonwealth’s Division of Marine Fisheries, I place fish at the top of my animal kingdom.   Be it a tuna slashing through the water; a great white shark slashing through herds of seals for a quick meal; or bass slashed with horizontal stripes making it one of the most sought-after sport fish on Cape Cod, there’s nothing like these underwater denizens living in a world that we can only visit through SCUBA or underwater vehicles, like the research submarine Nereus, recently lost by WHOI in six-mile deep Pacific waters.  Therefore, I’m quick to note that for three centuries the symbol of the Jesus movement – the people of The Way – was the fish.   

The other symbol was the Good Shepherd.   My wife and I own a Pembroke Welsh corgi – a breed famous for herding sheep, cattle, and Welsh ponies – even geese.  I guess that makes me a shepherd of sorts, although our corgi is best at unsuccessfully herding birds and rabbits.   She tries.

Fish and the Good Shepherd are two endearing and powerful symbols reminding us of table fellowship and generosity with all invited to the meal and the giving of protection to those in need especially those trampled through the neglect of many of our political leaders seeking legacies of won battles and crushed opponents having opposite points of view and policies.  For many, attending to those in real need seems to be an afterthought or just a necessary strategy for election and then re-election.

Sometimes when processing down the isle with the Book of Gospels held high, I glance to the right of the altar and see the window over the door next to the statues of Jesus and John the Baptist.   It’s Jesus holding a lamb.   It’s such a contrast to what I see high above the altar and over the top of the Gospels: Jesus Crucified.   They provide conflicting messages of Jesus dying for our sins and Jesus focused on loving God and our neighbors – near and far – and comforting those in need.   One is about pain and suffering while the other is about compassion and care for the weak and poor. 

To be perfectly frank, I’d much prefer to have the Good Shepherd as the focus of my attention.  But for those who disagree, I’m quick to note that I usually wear a crucifix to remind me of the suffering throughout the world caused by the proud and powerful unconcerned about justice and compassion.  Such were the ones who crucified our Lord.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments