Skip to main content

Independence Day

Today, my normally quiet waterfront neighborhood is alive again with summer and year-’round folks celebrating a (rain-delayed) Independence Day with friends and family.  This is a day when concerns over high gas prices, rainy-windy weather, lousy bosses, jam-packed schedules, and that terrible Cape traffic all seem to evaporate.  Instead we have great company, great food, and drink; plenty to be thankful for.  This lead me to a piece I want to share with you.

I came across this parable about a year ago and saved it for a day like today. 

One afternoon a shopper at the local mall felt the need for a coffee break.  She bought herself a little bag of cookies and put them in her shopping bag.  She then got in line for coffee, found a place to sit at one of the crowded tables, and then taking the lid off her coffee and taking out a magazine she began to sip her coffee and read.  Across the table from her a man sat reading a newspaper.

After a minute or two she reached out and took a cookie. As she did, the man seated across the table reached out and took one too.  This put her off, but she did not say anything.

A few moments later she took another cookie.  Once again the man did so too.  Now she was getting a bit upset, but still she did not say anything.

After having a couple of sips of coffee she once again took another cookie.  So did the man.  She was really upset by this - especially since now only one cookie was left.  Apparently the man also realized that only one cookie was left.  Before she could say anything he took
it, broke it in half, offered half to her, and proceeded to eat the other half himself.  Then he smiled at her and, putting the paper under his arm, rose and walked off.

Man, was she really steaming now.  Her coffee break ruined, already thinking ahead of how she would tell of this offense to her family, she folded her magazine, opened her shopping bag, and there discovered her own unopened bag of cookies.


I see in this woman my own lack of appreciation for things that God has given me in my daily life.  How many times have I caught myself praying for what I think I need or for what I want instead of simply offering prayers of thanks.

As we take in the wonderful sights and joyous sounds of summer, perhaps we can each carve out just a few minutes to thank the Lord for a day like today.

Deacon Paul Harney

Comments