Skip to main content

Fatality 0001~Deacon Brendan Brides

This past Thursday (September 11th) marked the thirteenth anniversary of the vicious attack levied on our country. On that day, many fire fighters were killed in the line of duty as they tried to save the lives of others. The first official recorded death in New York City, known as fatality 0001, was that of a fire fighter who went to assist  another fire fighter in front of Tower Two just before it collapsed. Mychal Judge, besides being fire chaplain for New York Fire Department was also a Catholic priest.

Born in Brooklyn, the son of Irish immigrants, Mychal Judge watched his father suffer and eventually die from a long sustained illness. As a result of his father's prolonged incapacitation, the challenge of supporting the family rested on young Mychal's shoulders. To help his mother and two sisters make ends meet he shined shoes at Penn Station, ran errands and did odd jobs before being eventually called to his Franciscan vocation. Father Judge was ordained a priest in 1961. Upon being appointed fire chaplain in 1992 Father Judge proclaimed "I always wanted to a priest or a fire fighter, now I'm both."

Father Mike became known for  the simple prayer he prayed each day:
"Lord take me where you want me to go, let me meet who you want me to meet, tell me what you want me to say, and keep me out to your way."

Father Mychal Judge, Catholic priest and fire fighter, may he rest in peace.

Comments