Skip to main content

Grumpy Old Men ~ Deacon Brendan Brides

In 1993 Jack Lemmon and Walther Matthau starred in the now famous movie called Grumpy Old Men. It is generally held, as suggested in the movie, that as we get older we tend to get "grumpier." I am quite cognizant of this as I stare down the barrel of the ever imminent fifty seventh birthday!

Recently I read a book (at least 78% per my iPad - that was enough for me) by someone whom I believe might just meet the "GOM" criteria. The author offered a strong critique of the Catholic Church and every thing that's "wrong" with it. At one point the author wrote: ..."for most young people, as for most adults, the Catholic Church is a quaint, obsolete institution of yesteryear; backward-looking, with authoritarian structures and a strange morality."I reflect on this comment when I read in the newspaper that six and a half million people showed up to Mass with Pope Francis in the Philippines last week, the greatest gathering of human beings ever on this planet.

I disagree with Father Hans Kung, now deep in the autumn of his life at eighty seven years of age. Personally, I am proud of my Catholic faith, the parents that introduced it to me and the Church that guides me despite all the visible warts. The Catholic Church, for me, is a dynamic and encouraging community which will continue to evolve with the message of Jesus Christ at the center of its growth. But then again I'm just a kid!

Comments