Skip to main content

Home sweet home

I would like to say that I’m writing to you from sunny 78 degree San Antonio Texas however, I’m sending this out to you from snow-covered East Falmouth.  I’m suppose to be attending 3 days of meetings and training at my company’s headquarters, leaving Monday and returning Thursday night, totally avoiding this winter mess.

All packed and ready to go out the door Monday, I went online to get my boarding pass for the Providence to Philly connector flight and discovered it had been canceled.  I called the airline and they found one seat for me out of Logan at 3:30.  So I raced up to Boston and finally made it to Terminal B.  The ticket agent told me that the flight was now delayed 90 minutes and said there was no guarantee I’d get out of Philly.  She was politely suggesting that I cancel my trip but I said that I had to try and to please check my bag.  After clearing security screening I rushed to the nearly abandoned gate, sat down and caught my breath…finally.



Now I had time to think and for the for the past 24 hours I had been worried about leaving my family alone in what was described as “Storm-ageddon”.  I didn't sleep much as I worried about them having to dig out or experiencing an extended power outage and loss of heat.

Years ago a good friend told me that when he began to worry, he would chant “Let go and let God”.  I find myself doing this in the middle of the night when something is keeping me awake, something I have no control over.  I hand it over to God.  As I sat by my flight gate, prepared for a long wait, I opened a Bible app on my smart phone and found Psalm 55, “Cast your care upon the Lord who will give you support”.

More flights were canceled out of Philly and my flight departure was now delayed 3 hours so now there was less of a chance I would make it to Texas before Wednesday night.  The decision was made for me.  I stood up and made my way back home, white-knuckled drive, but I made it.

Today, even as the early stages of cabin fever begin to take hold of us here, I realize, there’s no place on earth I’d rather be.

Comments