Skip to main content

My Lord and my God

Today's Gospel is one of my favorites for several reasons but when Jesus says "do not be unbelieving, but believe" it's Thomas' answer that touches on a prominent mile-marker in my own faith

Way, way, back in Sister Dora Lise's 2nd grade class at Saint Catherine's in Somerville, she taught us to pray "My Lord and my God." when the priest raises the host during the Eucharistic prayer. 

Then when he raises the chalice to repeat "my Lord and my God" but add, "My Jesus, Mercy".  I have done so ever since.  Coincidentally, two years ago I was at a weekday morning Mass at St Anthony's and heard someone behind me repeat the same prayers, he could have been a classmate!

Over the years I have found more and more of these short prayers, called Aspirations.  They are simple prayers which are easy to learn and memorize and you can use these prayers in good times or at times you feel that nothing is going right.  Before you lose all hope, use these to stay close to Jesus and Mary, or to call on other saints for their intercession.

I remember being taught to pray whenever we heard or saw an ambulance or fire truck go by, something like, "Jesus help the person who needs help. Amen." or, "Jesus, Mary and Joseph go with them."

This last one reminds me of the aspiration my Dad often used when angry, "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph" followed quickly by, "bless us now and at the hour of our death"

A few others I've found include;

"Deliver me, O Lord, from my enemies."
"Jesus, Mary, I love you. Save souls!"
"Holy Spirit, command me to do Your will "
"Mary, our hope, have pity on us!"
"O Mary, virgin Mother of God, pray to Jesus for me."
"From all sin, deliver me, O Lord."
"Blessed be God!"
"Heart of Jesus, I put my trust in Thee!"
"My God and my all."
"O good Jesus, shelter me from the evil one, shed Thy dew upon me to calm my soul, and dwell in me fully, that I may wholly love Thee."
"Praised be Jesus Christ, now and forevermore."
"O God, be merciful to me a sinner."
"Blessed be the name of the Lord!"
"Divine Heart of Jesus, convert sinners, save the dying, deliver the holy souls in purgatory."
"Mother of mercy, pray for us."

In your hectic day, even when you may feel pressed for time you can still answer Jesus' call to “pray always” [Lk 21:36] and St. Paul’s “pray without ceasing” [1 Thes 5:17].  Just remember to keep it simple.

(Thank you Sister.)


Deacon Paul Harney

Comments