Skip to main content

ECHO

On Tuesday night, the ECHO Community gathered at Christ the King for our annual cookout.  It gives everybody a chance to get together before the busyness of summer begins.  ECHO has been a blessing in my life in so many ways, and it certainly has helped me to discern God’s will for my life.  Below is a reflection on how ECHO has impacted my life.

This past April, I had the opportunity to be on team for ECHO 300.  ECHO, an acronym for Encountering Christ in Others, is a retreat program here on Cape Cod, celebrating its 45th year.  Over the past 45 years, there have been 300 weekends with over 12,000 people involved – truly amazing!




I first went on my first ECHO weekend in December of my sophomore year of high school.  It opened my eyes to God’s presence all around me.  During high school, I stayed involved in the ECHO program, participating in weekly reunions (Tuesdays at Christ the King and Thursdays at Our Lady of Victory), as a member of the Youth Board, and serving on team my junior and senior year of high school.

This past year, as a sophomore in college, I had the opportunity to come back and relive my ECHO experience.  It had been a few years since my previous weekend, but it felt like I hadn’t been away at school at all.  I was inspired by the maturity and openness of the candidates.  I gave a talk entitled “Confidence in Christ,” conveying to the candidates that God will always be there for you no matter what.  Part of my talk was explaining the importance of seeing prayer as a conversation—remembering to listen to God!

ECHO has helped me grow in so many ways – both spiritually and intellectually.  It truly has brought me so much joy.  Being involved in ECHO strengthens one’s relationship with God and with others.  Through ECHO, I have made so many lifelong, Christ-centered relationships.  I pray that some of you, grades 10-12 (college freshmen and sophomores can also participate), will say yes to ECHO.  Though ECHO is over for the academic year, there will be weekends next year.  For more information, visit their website, visit ECHO on Facebook, or feel free to ask somebody who as done one (many from CTK have!).

Chris Hughes

Comments