Skip to main content

Swearing Before God

In today’s Gospel reading we hear of an oath sworn to God.  “The Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah.  He passed through Gilead and Manasseh, and through Mizpah-Gilead as well, and from there he went on to the Ammonites. Jephthah made a vow to the LORD. “If you deliver the Ammonites into my power,” he said, “whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites shall belong to the LORD.  I shall offer him up as a burnt offering.”

He wins, and who is first to meet him when he returns?  His daughter, his only child, is the one.   After two months away to mourn, she returns and willingly gives her life keeping her father’s vow to God. [Oops, Jephthah said, "I shall offer him up as a burnt offering."  Loophole!  Jephthah should have said, "Sorry God, my daughter is not a 'he.' No burning today."]

Just goes to show: be careful what we promise or vow!  Therefore, as a deacon who witnesses marriages, I often wonder when a man and woman exchange vows before God, do they truly understand what they saying, or are they simply lost in the moment with little regard for the consequences of oath-breaking through infidelity or divorce?

Consider what they promise after I say: “Since it is your intention to enter into marriage, join your right hands, and declare your consent before God and his Church.   I …take you…, to be my wife (my husband).  I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health.  I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.”   They both then say, “I do.”  

But, do they really?   Most must mean what they say, and they have every good intention I’m sure.  Nevertheless, about 50% of all marriages end in divorce (so I've heard), and the number of infidelities is anyone’s guess.

No bride and groom will behave like Jephthah if things go wrong for whatever reason.   No one will be a burnt offering (although one or both may wish so).  Still, we can only hope the vows will be remembered, and through their trust in and commitment to God, husband and wife can consent again to love and honor each other.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments