Skip to main content

Annulments


























Pope Francis has recently made some changes in how annulments are processed.  Canon lawyers like myself are still studying the new norms.

One time consuming step has been eliminated.  Up to now, once a tribunal gave a positive decision, it was automatically sent to another tribunal for a review.  Now if both parties agree with the first decision, no further review is needed,

Another thing is that the bishop can make a decision for clear cases for annulment.  I am not sure how this will be done in a practical manner but I am sure the kinks will be worked out.

The Pope also wishes the annulment process to be free of charge.  So do I.  I have kept the practice of my predecessor and tell folks that Christ the King parish will pay any expenses associated with the annulment process.  I hope our Diocese will eliminate the very very modest fees we have.

If you want to know more about the possibility of an annulment of a previous marriage talk to your pastor.

I rejoice that this Pope of mercy is developing practical ways to put this mercy into practice.

Monsignor Hoye


Comments