Skip to main content

Courage


Courage, one of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, is so valuable on this journey of life.  Just the other night on ABC, we heard Pope Francis tell the young girl to “Be courageous!”  Bishop da Cunha also touched upon this in his homily at Christ the King on Sunday.  If you haven’t watched the ABC special, I highly recommend it!

During the special, Pope Francis spoke to a single mother of two girls, saying, “I want to tell you one thing; I know it’s not easy to be a single mother.  I know that people can sometimes look askance at you.  But I’ll tell you one thing, you’re a brave woman, because you were capable of bringing these two daughters into the world…” “…God will reward you for that; He does reward you for that.  Don’t be ashamed, hold your head high…”

After hearing this, I realize that courage is needed very often in our lives—more than we realize ourselves!  We need courage to overcome sadness, grief, illness, or injury.  I recall the courage my grandmother had going through close to 20 rounds of chemotherapy while battling cancer before she went home to God a year and a half ago.  Those that have had a loved one fight cancer or another disease know how hard it is to see someone you love, and in this case my rock and inspiration, have difficult days and weaken.  The family and friends of the sick also need to have courage.

I have told my residents this year (freshman boys) to have the courage to try to reach out and get to know other people; to try new things.  Students take a leap of courage in choosing their school.  Parents make the same leap in trusting an institution with their son/daughter (and trusting their child to be away from home!).

We work up the courage to face whatever struggle we are dealing with – addiction, marriage/relationship problems, tension at home or in the workplace, financial issues, job/school challenges – the list goes on and on.

We also have to work up the courage to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation.  It can be so daunting at times, but I know that every time I go, I feel much better about whatever was holding me down.  I have never walked out of the confessional regretting going.

We always need to use the Gift of Courage that we received at Confirmation to be courageous.  Remember the courage that Jesus had to die on the Cross for us.  If He had the courage to do that, we can have the courage to just about anything.

Chris Hughes

Comments