Skip to main content

Remembering 9/11

Today marks the fourteenth anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks, a day that will never leave the minds of Americans all over the country.  It was a day that changed our world forever; the changes are still felt fourteen years later.

Everybody remembers where they were that day when they heard the news.  For me, I was in first grade and I was sitting on the rug of the classroom when my teacher told us that two planes had crashed into the World Trade Center.  I can even remember the clothes that I had on and which kids were sitting next to me.  One classmate of mine stated that he thought his grandfather was on that plane (he was confused and fortunately that ended up not being the case).  My six-year-old self tried to wrap my head around all that had been described to me.  “How could somebody do this?  Why would somebody want to kill others?”  I had a hard time understanding that there was evil in the world.  It hit home in many ways, as my father did (and still does) travel for work very frequently.  My father revealed to me years later that although he was not traveling by air on September 11, 2001, he had just had dinner in the World Trade Center only a few weeks prior.  Many can remember (and understand) that frightful day in much more detail than I can, and it is amazing how some things stick out in your mind like that, even at six years old.

For the past fourteen years, we have observed September 11 as Patriots Day.  I can remember the first anniversary where they played Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless the USA” across the school intercom at the exact times the first two planes hit.  There has been the production of songs, TV specials, movies, and documentaries; prayers written, Masses celebrated, and memorials built.  I know that every year reliving the news footage, videos, photos, etc. brings me to tears.

Today is a day to stop and take a few minutes to pause and reflect.  Pause and reflect on the events that took place on that Tuesday morning.  Pray for those that died, loved ones of the deceased, first responders, flight crews, military personnel, and clergy that came to administer the sacraments.  Perhaps offer a Rosary, asking Mary’s intercession for an increase of peace, love, and justice in our world.

Christ was present on September 11, 2001 in all of the charitable and selfless acts done by first responders.  Christ was present in those that wiped the tears of loved ones.  Christ was present in those that carried their fellow co-workers out of the burning building.  Christ was present in Fr. Mychal Judge.  Christ was present in the flight attendants, trying to keep the passengers calm.  Christ was present in all of those that went to fight for our country, and still is.  Christ is present always, in you and in me.

Together, we pray, Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

Chris Hughes

Comments