Skip to main content

Bearing Fruit: Fruits of the Holy Spirit

On Sunday, I joined fellow RAs from the other freshman buildings to go apple picking.  We try to make it a point once a semester to bond and do something fun together.  It was a very cool, crisp fall afternoon in Maine; we even had a few snowflakes…winter's coming, folks!

There are TONS of apple orchards in the Southern Maine area, and I mean tons!  It is amazing how many apple trees there are that bear so much fruit.  On the drive back, I remembered the words of Matthew about everybody bearing fruit.  “Just so, every good tree bears good fruit, and a rotten tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a rotten tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. So by their fruits you will know them.” (Matthew 7:17-20)

If we look at that and understand it, we can see that our actions shape who we are.  We have to continue to bear good fruit—good actions—to be that good tree.  I am reminded of the twelve Fruits of the Holy Spirit that are good for us to live by.  They are: charity, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, generosity, gentleness, faithfulness, modesty, self-control, and chastity.

Apples are considered a “healthy” food, and we need to eat (and be) healthy to be able to live up to God’s will.  If we incorporate the Fruits of the Holy Spirit into our lives, we can live healthier spiritual and moral lives.

As the cooler weather reminds us that a new season is upon us, perhaps a good start to becoming a good tree would be through the Sacrament of Reconciliation in order to get rid of all of the “rotten” fruit.

On another scale, perhaps our prayer as the leaves continue to change we can ask the Lord how we can put the Fruits of the Holy Spirit to work in our daily lives.  Can I give more of my time, talent, or treasure?  Can I be more joyful in my interactions with others?  Am I creating a peaceful environment in my home, school, workplace?  Am I acting with patience, kindness, and gentleness toward others?  Can I live a more virtuous, modest, life?  Just some food (perhaps a slice of apple pie) for thought!

Chris Hughes

Comments