Skip to main content

Visiting with Pope Francis

In the weeks before his visit to the United States, Pope Francis requested the presence of all seminarians at the canonization mass of Saint Junípero Serra in Washington, D.C. This was the first canonization to be celebrated on American soil, and I was privileged to be one of the ninety–four seminarians from Saint John’s Seminary in Brighton to be in attendance. I was elated when the seminary first informed us of this upcoming trip by email, for I believed that having the opportunity to see the Vicar of Christ would become a great source of inspiration for me as I continue to discern towards the priesthood. We traveled to the nation’s capital by bus, leaving the afternoon before and arriving in Baltimore late that evening. During our ride down, we would pray both morning and evening prayer from the divine office as well as the rosary. It was especially interesting to see the different reactions we would receive at our various stops along the way, during which a mob of men in clerical garb would quickly fill the particular rest area. We arrived at the National Basilica the following day around 9:30 AM and waited in a rather long and serpentine line for about an hour and a half before we were granted entrance. Once in inside, we could see students of all the varied religious orders of the Catholic Church gathered in one space. Although we represented different traditions within the faith, there was a real sense of unity that could felt by all.

Since the actual mass was being said outside the Basilica, television screens were set up so that all inside could participate. After much anticipation, the televisions began to show the Pontiff’s procession through the streets of Washington. There was some doubt as to whether the Pope would enter the Basilica, but when the screen showed the Pope entering the main doors, everyone turned around with excitement. Then, all of a sudden, he was in our midst and the crowds erupted with applause. I was struck by how close I was, for I leaned over I most likely could have touched him. His face was beaming and it was obvious that he was touched by the warm welcome. Although my glimpse of Francis lasted perhaps only a few seconds, they were precious moments, ones that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. After a moment of silence, he placed flowers on the altar before he exited to celebrate the mass.

The mass itself was extremely beautiful and everyone participated fully. I was struck by the reverence that Pope Francis had for the liturgy, especially for the Eucharist. In his homily, he meditated upon the life of Saint Junípero Serra, focusing on one of his mantras: Siempre Adelante! Keep moving forward! This is a sentiment that I will take with me as I continue my journey here at St. John’s, for although seminary life presents its own ups and down, one must keep moving if he is to discover his vocation. I believe that this hold true for all the faithful outside the seminary as well. As Pope Francis states, “Keep moving forward, for the Lord is waiting!”.

Matthew Laird

Comments