Skip to main content

ARE YOU READY?


This morning I gave a homily to the First Communion group at the 8:30 Mass. I hadn’t been at that Mass for a long time since I am normally at the 5:30 on Sunday afternoon. I miss alternating with the other Masses so it was nice to see the kids coming up around the altar. I sort of liked it. I only wish I had read the readings for the day before I volunteered to fill at the Mass.

The readings are sort of dark and foreboding about the end of times. The first letter from Daniel talks about “a time unsurpassed in distress,” and says many will awake from the dust of the earth and shall live in “an everlasting horror and disgrace.” The Gospel says “the sun will be darkened, the moon will not give its light, and the stars will be falling from the sky.” These are all subjects you really don’t want to talk about to a bunch of second graders.


So instead, we focused on who was coming at the end of times and how we could be ready him. These second graders already knew all the answers. In fact they gave some very enlightening and thought-provoking answers. Several of them shot up their hands at the first question and said “Jesus” was coming at the end of times.

Then we talked a little about things we can get ready for, like birthday parties (have to get gifts and maybe dress up). We have to get ready for school in the morning (like eat a good breakfast so we have energy for the day, get your books together, maybe complete some homework before we go to school).

Then we talked about things we might do to get ready for when we meet Jesus. I mentioned going to Church with their parents and learning more about Jesus in class today. But they came up with much better answers. One of them said, “pray to Jesus.” Yes!!! Another said be kind to one another. Another said be nice to your brothers and sisters. (At that age, I remember that not always being easy). A fourth said, “don’t argue with your parents.” And one girls said, “treat others like you would like to be treated.” In other words, the Golden Rule. That sort of summed it all up. I didn’t have to say any more. They said it all. Thank for your insights.

Deacon Greg Beckel

Comments