Skip to main content

Fearless

I recently attended a business meeting in St. Augustine, Florida.   Having a banquet at the Ponce de Leon Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park, the organization to which I belong – the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission – found its members close to the shore on a nearby marsh.   With the Park being in darkness with hardly a light anywhere (poor planning by the organizers), I wandered alone down a long pier suspended over the water.   In the distance was a large cross lit for all to see.

I didn’t experience any loss of years and aging bringing me back to when I was 18 (heaven forbid), even though I was somewhere near the fountain.  However, I did experience what a cross – be it a crucifix or a simple cross of wood – always is supposed to do.  It reminded me of the presence of Jesus, and even though I was alone in the darkness, Christ was with me. 

In the silence of the evening with fish stirring the waters below, I could almost hear Christ say: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you…Do not let your heart be troubled or afraid…(John 14:27).”  So, let's be fearless!


Deacon David Pierce

Comments