Skip to main content

A Perfect Litany

“Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid,” said Jesus, and the wind died down.   This is what we hear in today’s Gospel reading from Mark.   We get more advice in the first reading from 1 John: “…There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear because fear has to do with punishment, and so one who fears is not yet perfect in love.” 

Sometimes I recite the “Litany Against Fear” made famous in the 1980s by Frank Herbert who wrote Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, and many others.  Herbert’s main character is Paul Atreides who at the beginning of Dune introduces the “Litany against Fear” that he said when faced with terrifying and painful situations.  It goes:

“I must not fear.  Fear is the mind-killer.  Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.  And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.  Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.”  This Litany is useful when the “winds” within me are blowing hard, and I need to face my fear – to deal with it, not ignore it, but recognize it as a part of life and an obstacle to overcome.  Otherwise – “a little death.”

We know fear can be crippling and freeze us in place.  Some fear is well justified, but most of the time we fear little things and, of course, the unknown and uncertain.  So, how can we drive out our fears?

John tells us that perfect love drives out fear – no Litany is necessary.   So true; however, perfect love is hard to come by and seems elusive.  Perhaps it’s best to recite John’s wise advice:  “Beloved, if God so loved us, we also must love one another.  No one has ever seen God.  Yet, if we love one another, God remains in us, and his love is brought to perfection in us.”  Now that’s a perfect Litany and words to live by!  Fear be gone!

Deacon David Pierce

Comments