Skip to main content

Burning Fires

No burning bushes today or opportunities to look God in God’s face – like Moses in today’s reading from Exodus?   God called out from the burning bush: “Moses! Moses!”  Then, “Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God.”

I don’t know about you, but I’d look.   What’s the worst that could happen?   I’d turn into a pillar of salt?  Hardly.  In fact, Jesus always says, “Be not afraid,” so I’m looking, and what would I see? 

If the only way to “see” God is in fire, then maybe I’ll look into the fireplace on a cold and snowy evening hoping to see God and hear, “David! David!”  That would be nice, but somewhat terrifying since the devil is associated with fire.  So who would be really calling me?  Then again, the Holy Spirit has been likened to tongues of fire, so why worry?  I still have trouble with the image.  Fire: sometimes it burns and sometimes it doesn’t.  Whatever!

Of course, God is not just seen in fire.  God is seen in the face of loved ones.   God is seen in the faces of caregivers.   When love is shown, God is present.  Where love manifests itself, God walks and even talks though the mouths of those willing to give a loving embrace and offer a helping hand or words of comfort and compassion.     

Many of us look for God and are disappointed when the fire doesn’t speak to us.    When the embers burn low, we ask, “Where are you God?  The fire has died.”  I suspect the only time the fire dies is when we let it.

This Lent, let’s stoke the fire, and then speak for God by what we say and what we do.    In that way, those who look to us for help and kindness, see God.  No faces will be hidden from us, or the love of God.

Deacon David Pierce

Comments